The Borage on our plot has been a Rookie success so far, but this week we noticed a spot of Borage bother. While the characteristically brilliant blue flowers are in bloom, the leaves of the plant have gone a decidedly unhealthy looking dusty white. A bit of research has shown that this is likely to be ‘powdery mildew’ which often strikes Borage grown in shady and damp conditions (as ours is).
The question is – what’s the best way to treat this unwelcome visitor ? Google suggests a drink of milk, a compost tea or even a sprinkle of fresh urine might do the job ! With Mr O poised at the flower border ready to do his duty, do you know of a better treatment for powdery mildew ? Answers (gratefully received) on a postcard please !
The time has come on our plot to really start harvesting and enjoying the efforts of all our hard work over the last few months. We were so pleased this week to be able to harvest our first Broccoli, Dwarf French Beans, Asparagus Peas, Courgette, Cucumber, ripe red Gooseberries (to the delight of Mr G, for whom they were grown) French Garlic (very impressive) and Potatoes. We’ve also been picking more Peas (half of which I have attempted to freeze for the first time – results to follow !) and lots of Lettuce.
It’s so satisfying to come away from the allotment with bowls full of produce, and with so many greens on offer there really is no excuse not to eat (and enjoy eating) healthily. With our first successes under our belts, we’ve also started thinking about the next phase, and have begun planting more seeds when beds become empty. More Lettuce and French Bean seeds have gone into the ground, and we have also planted Borage in our flower bed. We’ve also put some of the Pea pods that had dried out to one side, to hopefully utilise next year. Onwards and upwards !